Friday, August 22, 2008

Okay, I'm back in it, I swear.

Sorry about that brief pause, folks. This week has been killer- there's only two of us in the office and that keeps me moving all day. I believe I promised an assessment of Carol Shea-Porter the next time I wrote. Alright, guys- here it is:

http://shea-porter.house.gov/



Porter's "Online Office" is just a poster child for her tenure so far. There is little about her stand on anything, just mentions of the various boards she participates in and some legislation she's helped pass. Here's some of the environmental legislation she's currently sponsoring:

H.R. 3101:To amend the Biomass Research and Development Act of 2000 to include heating fuel produced from biomass in the definition of biobased fuel.

Well, that's all I found. Just the one. I know for a fact that she opposes new drilling options, which I'm totally okay with. A lot of her Republican counterparts are trying to use this against her.

So, here's my thing ... off shore oil drilling will ultimately come down to a state decision, right? I mean, shouldn't it? Let the people of the state in question decide if they want their beaches covered in tar for the next few decades. If they're cool with it, fine. It's their public health (though ultimately it reflects on the rest of us anyway).

ALSO! I strongly oppose drilling in national parks and refuge areas. Why? Because if our government can reverse the legislation that made those spaces sacred in the first place, what's to stop them from altering those restrictions later on? For other reasons? If the government we elected (remember that, we put them there, guys) burns a giant loop-hole into the system, you can bet your sweet, voting ass that nothing else will stop them from tainting these lands later. Mark my words, dear reader ... As far as our government is concerned: when it rains, it pours ... and FEMA dropped the ball on repairing their levees.
[That was a horrible metaphor, but it makes a point.]

I wish you all the best when it comes to New Hampshire's Primary Day on September 9th. Vote wisely, these people are elected to represent our state and maintain our government's balance of power (what's left of it anyway). We're all members of the Shire (seriously, the Shire is in all of us, even out-of-staters) and we should remember that the decisions we make affect our neighbors just as much as ourselves. Let's remember to put political labels aside and that our true objective is to protect our children and their future. That cannot happen with out a healthy planet. Let's elect some folks who will remember that along side us.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

Please drink responsibly- make it organic and don't drink and drive!
Have a great weekend.

Best,
Say

No comments: