Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's all about the details when it comes to selling your home.

My job just keeps getting better these days! Amy, my editor, has been noticing my enthusiasm for environmental topics and just assigned me a portion of a cover story regarding green home decor. I'm exploring wall paints and plasters, cork and mud flooring and organic/recycled textiles and upholstry. I'm having so much fun researching- I'm so enamoured with a lot of this stuff. Here are my favorite finds:

Mud (or Adobe) Floors can look as nice as this and last just as long as traditional hardwood, with correct care:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cork flooring is some amazing stuff; fully sustainable and more functional than it's other wooden counterparts. This is definitely worth the research.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And last, but not least: American Clay Earth Plasters. I can't wait to own my own property and put this stuff to work!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll be sure to update when this cover story hits shelves. For my next great environmental endeavor with the Hippo, I'm writing a cover story about local conservation efforts! So far, I'm speaking with the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests and the Russell Piscataquog River Watershed Foundation. I'll keep you all posted!

Love,
Say

3 comments:

Unknown said...

my dad just installed cork floors in our living and dining room

they are pretty cool looking and my brothers allergies have been better ever since :)

GLOBE: Green, Leading Others By Example said...

No kidding! You know, I really wanted an adobe floor at first, but cork just seems better and better with the more research I do. I can't wait for this to publish. Thanks for reading, Viv!

Unknown said...

Not only do I like the idea of using renewable materials in my home, but I also like how they look. Both Cork and others such as bamboo have a great look and feel to the material once installed. Thanks for the Adobe info!

c