Thursday, February 28, 2008

The spray of the sea is tainted with the musk of our garbage.

In the midst of studying all the wonderful things you can do for your home to make it greener, I've stumbled upon some amazing updates in my "bookmarked" arsonal. I'm always guilty of needing a quick distraction when I'm working on a really long story. I'll stare at it glaringly for an hour, then I need a break- or my eyes will swell in my head and force my brain out my ears.

In my random searching I've found many amazing things, primarily websites that help make the green transition seem effortless, however expensive sometimes. One of these days I'll make a list of some sweet places you can go to browse neat ideas, learn something new and maybe aid in changing some behavior patterns. For now, we need to discuss this:

Plastic from Pacific Garbage Pit

Pacific coast, we have a problem. I found this photo in conjunction with an article that explains, well ... there's the first paragraph of the damn thing:

"The so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a stewy body of plastic and marine debris that floats an estimated 1,000 miles west of San Francisco, is a shape-shifting mass far too large, delicate and remote to ever be cleaned up, according to a researcher who recently returned from the area."

Disturbing, disheartening, not surprising. I mean, Casey showed me a link to an article on the Alberta Oil Sands yesterday- if disgraceful things like that are still going on, why wouldn't there be a massive, floating, mobile garbage dump trapped 1000 miles off the coast of San Francisco? It's only logical that something like this would happen. Now, the government is considering trying to clean this mess up. At least they said they're considering it. Saying and doing are two different things.

So, all you west-coasters out there reading this bit of information: WTF? I know you feel the same way I do- it's gross to think that's what humans automatically do to their surroundings and it's sad that something like this is happening just miles off your shoreline. Perhaps some lobbying is in order? Writing to your senators? Congressmen?

Every bit of outrage helps.

You can read the full story here: Plastic Trash in the Ocean as Far as the Eye Can See.

Love,
Say

No comments: